Having Kidney Stones is not just for a while when you feel the pain, it is an Chronic Episodic series which goes on. Kidney Stone gives one a Chronic Flank Pain, which can go on for several hours, days or may be for months.
It Gives one a constant feeling of pain taking a toll over your body, in minutes it can drive down patient to his knees. It is a Dull ache one feels, often persisting on one side.
Starting with mid back, to your urethra, swollen kidney, it can lead to severe medical condition.
Investigation on Kidney stones?
Once you visit your General Physician(GP), and you figure out you have kidney Stones, You should Visit a Urologist or a Nephrologist. Sequence of X-rays and CT Scan can be a part of your job if your stone Storm decides to play a while. Never ending X-Rays, CT Scans, Contrast CT, Which is the Radiocontrast For Xray, To Trace the stone.
A good trip planned with the medications can help you calm your stone for a while. The size of your stone is a major concern, if the stone is smaller in size, lets say till 5mm it will pass from your kidney to the Ureter, which is a tube which moves your urine from kidney to bladder. Painkillers and Patience with your stone will make it easy for it to get flushed out of your system, while urinating or while the stone passing through the ureter there are chances of blood passing with it.
What do the kidneys do? How Many Types Of Kidney Stones are there?
Your kidneys are two bean-shaped organs and are usually about the size of your fist. They are located a little below your rib cage and to the left and right of your spine. Your kidneys are powerful chemical factories and have the following Types Of Stones.
- Calcium stones are the most common, they are often made of calcium oxalate, they can also consist of calcium phosphate and maleate. Food that consist of High oxalate are:
- potato chips
- Uric acid. This type of kidney stone is more common in men than in women.
They can occur in people with Gout or those going through Chemotherapy.
This type of stone develops when urine is too acidic. A diet rich in purines can increase urine’s acidic level. Purine is a colorless substance in animal proteins, such as fish, shellfish, and meats.
- This type of stone is found mostly in women with urinary tract infections (UTIs)
This type of stone is found mostly in women With Urinary Tract Infections (UTIS). These stones can be large and cause urinary obstruction. They result from a kidney infection. Treating an underlying infection can prevent the development of struvite stones.
Cystine stones are rare. They occur in both men and women who have the genetic disorder cystinuria. With this type of stone, cystine — an acid that occurs naturally in the body — leaks from the kidneys into the urine.
Why kidney stones can be a problem.
Not necessarily stones are to be in kidney, they can be in ureter also, in-case the size of stone is large, it may damage the ureter and the bladder causing spasm and infection.
Sometimes stones block the flow of urine. This is called a Urinary Obstruction. Urinary obstructions can lead to Kidney Infection and kidney damage.
Kidney Stones are generally not life taking, but in particular cases it might lead to patients death. It also depends on the location of the kidney stones, for instance if the stone is blocking your urinary tract in such cases there are high chances of severe Urinary tract infection (UTI). In such case the bacteria can not find its way to move out of your body, it can lead to septic, also infecting your blood, in such cases if not treated the infection or not removed the stone in time, it can be life taking.
Types Of Procedures Needed to remove Kidney Stones.
These four treatments can be used on your kidney stones:
- Shock wave lithotripsy.
- Lithotripsy uses sound waves to break up large kidney stones into smaller pieces. These sound waves are also called high-energy shock waves. The most common form of lithotripsy is extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- It is a procedure in which a small scope (like a flexible telescope) is inserted into the bladder and ureter and it is used to diagnose and treat a variety of problems in the urinary tract. For ureteral stones, it allows the urologist to actually look into the ureter, find the stone and remove it.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL)
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) is a minimally-invasive Procedure to remove stones from the kidney by a small puncture wound (up to about 1 cm) through the skin. It is most suitable to remove stones of more than 2 cm in size and which are present near the pelvic region.
4. Open surgery
- Open surgery removes very large stones or stones that cannot be removed by other means. For this surgery, your doctor makes an incision in your side. Your kidney or ureter is opened, and the stone is removed. Then your kidney or ureter is sutured closed. The skin incision is also sutured closed. A drain is left near the incision to carry urine away from the wound. In some cases, a temporary plastic tube called a stent is placed inside the ureter during the surgery. The stent helps the tissue heal and allows the urine to drain.
Prevention from Kidney Stones.
Liquid plays a major role in prevention from Kidney Stones. There is no major set of diet one needs to follow, but having food which includes high level of uric acid should be avoided.
- Drink Lots of Fluid.
- Have Cranberry Juice.
- Eat More of Calcium- Rich Food.
- Less of Sodium Intake.
- Less of Oxalate Food Items.